Saturday, December 15, 2012

When Darkness is Darkest- His Light Shines: A Brief Reflection on the CT School Shooting

Yesterday, I was walking into a Christian elementary school to share Chanukah with a 2nd grade classroom. The woman at the door to check in greeted me with great suspicion and asked for my credentials. I realized, as I spoke with her, that she was crying and asked her what was wrong. She shared with me the news from Connecticut, which was just hitting national media within minutes of my arrival at this school. Shock was my first feeling and then horror. I went to the classroom to share about Chanukah- about miracles and light and joy. And I looked around at the little smiling faces of energetic children sugared up with "sufganyot" (Chanukah jelly donuts) and chocolate "geld". They were so precious and bright and hopeful. To think that anyone could harm them as viciously as the killer in CT was making me physically ill. Yesterday, in the midst of such fragile innocence and happiness, I was so overwhelmingly aware of just how dark this world is and how much we need the Light of Jesus. He is the only answer for lasting joy and a hope that is secure enough to weather the storms of even the darkest expression of hell's fury. America saw a glimpse of hell's darkness yesterday. May the Lord pour out His grace and allow eyes to be opened to LIGHT this season. For the Glory of God. --Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment