Friday, February 3, 2012

Contentment is NOT Apathy

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
Paul, the Apostle
Philippians 4:11

The Apostle Paul desired. (Philippians 1:23*, 1 Thessalonians 2:17)
The Apostle Paul earnestly prayed. (1 Thessalonians 3:10)
The Apostle Paul labored intensely toward his goal. (1 Thessalonians 2:9, 2 Thessalonians 3:8)
The Apostle Paul struggled with himself, others and the Spirit. (Romans 7:15ff, Colossians 2:1)
The Apostle Paul fought, ran and kept on. (2 Timothy 4:7)

Contentment is NOT apathy.  

"But Godliness with Contentment is Great Gain."
Paul, the Apostle
1 Timothy 6:6


*Verses are given in example, not as an exhaustive list.

2 comments:

  1. Philippians 4:11
    Amplified Bible (AMP)
    11 Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be [a] content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am.
    Footnotes:[a] 1. Philippians 4:11 Literal translation: "self-sufficient."

    I am learning a lot about the translation/definition of the word "content" lately. The one translation/definition that I gravitate toward is "self-sufficient in God's sufficiency." Definitely not defining apathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds sort of like, "I'm content with my position in the redemptive relationship I have with God in the world. I know I have to fill up MY spot while I depend on Him to do HIS work. I know I am not God! I know I'm His subordinate in this work. But I know I have a role, and I push myself to fill it as He provides the breath in my body and the brain in my head to do so."

    ReplyDelete